I just had a month off. An entire month of pure, honest-to-goodness NOT WORKING. It was the best month of my life.
For many, many reasons--the biggest of which being the fact that my birthday is rapidly approaching, taking me further from my 20s and closer to saggy balls (if I had balls)--I never wanted my month to end. And yet here it is, Monday morning, and I'm stressing over what to wear to work.
I could go on about how vacation should last forever and blah, blah, but the truth is, I'm actually a little bit excited about going back to work, back to normalcy.
Because, while being on vacation is like an orgasm on wheels, I'm not a person who can ever get used to sleeping in (I mean, it was madness, there were some mornings I didn't wake up until 6!), shopping incessantly (what budget?), and eating whatever I want because "I'm on vacation and it doesn't count". (For the record, calories on vacation totally count. I've got two new dimples in my ass to prove it.)
The point is, I don't know how normal people function in daily life, life without a teacher's schedule. Scott has only 3 weeks of vacation a year. I shit 3 weeks of vacation. I never work longer than 14 weeks without then having a month off.
I love my job for other reasons, too. I love it for bringing me fulfillment, purpose, and the belief that I am making a difference (or at least trying to).
And now I'm back to the grind and hoping someone will remind me of that whole "fulfillment and purpose" thing in, say, two weeks, when I'm stressed out. Because it's a lot easier to love my job when it's been a month since I've had to do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment