Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Library

I like to think of myself as an organized person. At the very least I like to think of myself as someone who has her shit together.

I even carry a planner around now and write down important stuff (so what if i never remember to look over it--it's definitely the thought that counts).

But for the most part, shit gets done. Almost always in a timely matter.

Take, for instance, the library.  I return the books in a timely manner.  It's just that timely is a subjective word and our definitions (mine and the library's) don't exactly match. 

The truth is that every single time I check out books, I end up looking like a douchetard because I, once again, disregarded the due date. And there's always someone waiting on one of the books.  

This is what makes me a giant asshole.

Bu on the bright side, I guess I kind of look at all those fines (Um...can YOU think of a better way to spend $48.50? Because I can't.) as my contribution to making sure the library, you know, doesn't run out of books or anything like that.

The library could quite possibly go under without my fine money.  I'm sure it's like half of their yearly budget or something.

The point is, the fact that I forget the books and earn fines is most likely an altruistic gesture. I'm so completely unselfish that I don't even have to try to be a giver.  It just comes naturally to me.  

Like breathing and knowing how to cuss in 5 different languages.  

This, folks, is what lets me know I'm a good person.  

That and my shoe collection.  Because would a rotten person have such great shoes?

I think not.

Peace.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Oh man, we're in the same boat here, my friend. Last time I went to the library it had been over 2 years because of the evil eye I got when I returned Tropic of Cancer 6 months late (and a little sticky). And I still had a fine waiting.

Becky said...

I am a nut job about the library. Have never been late on a book because to me it's a crime worse than cheating on your taxes.
I think it's because my Grandpa was a librarian.