Saturday, January 31, 2009

Laundry

I suck at doing laundry. I'm one of those people who will throw a load in and forget about it. Like for 3 weeks. Sadly (well, maybe fabulously, actually), my wardrobe is big enough to accommodate this bad habit.

And my laundry room? Complete disaster. It is the bane of my house's existence. And mine, obviously.

So it makes me wonder if this is somehow a reflection on my inner most personality.

I was too young when I graduated college. Not at all ready for Life. I flitted around various jobs while still holding down the college lifestyle. This involved a lot of bars in SLC (actually, that particular lifestyle followed me to SD for while). Anyway, all of my college friends got to spend money on cute clothes and cool things like roller blades. So I did, too. Even though I couldn't afford it.

So then I just decided to not pay my bills for a while. A while meaning, like, 2 years. I just threw them away and ignored them.

You know what's awesome for your credit? Not paying your bills for a couple of years.

That shiz takes forever to repair.

Anyway. I finally landed job as a TA at a middle school. The teacher I worked under was an addictions counselor and therefore very therapy-wise. After a few month of us working together, she approached me about going to one of those better-yourself seminars. She said that at this seminar, the first thing they do is take you to the parking lot and look in your trunk. If it's too messy, they won't take you. Because you have too many issues.

I never made it to the seminar.

Because I didn't want to pay the $400.

I would have been rejected, anyway.

So now it seems I have my life in order. I pay my bills. I don't have credit card debt. I own a home and a couple savings accounts. The trunk of my car is clean.

And somehow I can't help but wonder....what is the true reason I ignore my laundry?

I think it's a tip of the hat to my old, crazy depressed days.

Should that bother me?

6 comments:

rachael chatoor said...

They wont take you if your trunk is messy? Does anyone in that place have kids?



I think that people who are obsessed with perfection and neatness, have more 'issues' quite frankly.

Brittany said...

Did I write this post? I was the SAME way, with bills, with my laundry room, everything.

I could not relate more to this.

A said...

Um, sending an email. Like, right now. During my credential class! Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

Hey this is Julia, CeliaDarling's daughter and this is totally random! I am trying to plan a wedding in Southern California and I live in Utah. (difficult) Where are you finding your info for your wedding planning?

Carma Sez said...

You are not alone. This morning I had a big pile of wet clothes in my hand and I was yelling for someone to come and empty the dryer, since it was already full, as usual.
carma

Frank said...

I love doing laundry. There is something very therapeutic about it. I love the way towels look when they are all neat with the folds facing out. And no, I am not; kinding or gay.

First load goes in about 6:30am on a Saturday, and by 8:00am the music is cranked and the house is pumping. No body sleeps in on Saturday in my house.

BTW. My trunk is a mess. What would the seminar people say about that???