I am anal about everything in my house except laundry. I hate laundry, I suck at laundry, and, well, I'm married to a man, so I feel like it's redundant to say he sucks at laundry as well. Laundry is a complete cluster at our house. The patio gets vacuumed on the regular, but the laundry? Well, the laundry sits there and waits for one of us to be desperate enough (or underwear-less enough) to do it.
Last week, Scott caved first and spent all of Sunday folding clothes. I dictated from the couch, where I was working on my last round of edits for the book.
Naturally, he put all of his clothes away and left what was mine on the bed. And then some.
I forced myself to put my clothes away and was down to the last item when I noticed an errant, black, lacy stocking on the bed.
I'm not a black lacy stocking kind of girl. I didn't think my husband was a black lacy stocking type of guy. But there the evidence was, a stocking from an unknown source in my husband's laundry, demanding that I freak out.
So I did what any rational, married woman would do upon finding a sexy, foreign stocking in her husband's laundry: I fell asleep.
When I woke up in the morning, I told him about it. He shrugged and said it must be mine. I insisted it wasn't, but I pawed through my stockings just to be sure and, guess what, I found the mate to the stocking.
I have no idea why I own such stockings or where they came from. I put them in the Goodwill pile in hopes that some other woman (or man, I shant discriminate!) can wear them and feel sexy.
The point of the story is, I didn't freak out. Not even a little. Though I swore the stockings weren't mine, the thought never crossed my mind that Scott was creepin'.
A younger, more insecure version of me may have freaked out,. Hell, the younger, more insecure version of me did freak out. All the time. I used to read his emails, go through his phone. I even once had a huge meltdown because he had more pictures of his friends on MySpace than he had of me. I KNOW.
But not now. Knowing him, knowing that, above anything, he is a good man with morals and values and...he adores me.
For that, I am thankful, because if you don't have trust, well, you ain't got shit.
No comments:
Post a Comment