Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Theory of Relativity According to TheKel

The first thought that went through my head when she said "You are so disciplined" was: If by disciplined you mean cheap, then yes.

I didn't put on 3 layers and ride my scooter to work in the 40 degree weather because I have discipline. I rode my scooter because I'd rather pay for gas at 80 mpg (scooter) as opposed to 15 mpg (car).

What my friend, who made the comment, views as "discipline" is nothing more than my preference to spend money on my own materialist tendencies rather than Big Oil.

The comment, however, did cause me to reflect on one of my favorite cliches: "Everything is relative." (is that a cliche or some other figure of speech? I'm not sure.)

Of all the adjectives I'd use to describe myself (bitchy, anal, bossy), disciplined has probably never crossed my mind. Because if I were disciplined, would I drink so much coffee or eat so many carbs? Would I be riding my bike to work sporadically as opposed to every day? Would my back patio have gone this long without being vacuumed?

My sister gets up at 4:30 every morning to work out. She never goes to bed with dishes in the sink (actually, neither do I, but she's trained her boys better, because sometimes I wake up to dirty dishes, whereas she never does).

That is what I consider discipline, especially given the fact that she's considered "crippled" and is supposed to be walking with a cane.

But, then, that just goes to show that everything is relative. Because, even though there's a million things I should either start or stop doing, I am disciplined. Allegedly.

Whatever.

No comments: