It wasn't supposed to lose us $150,000+.
It also wasn't meant as a "deeper commitment to our relationship."
But it saved us.
Our little SoCal shack. That we paid way too much for. The same amount of money my sister and her husband spent building their dream home.
But, you know, my dream home doesn't include snow.
So sacrifices had to be made.
Scott and I fought so much the first year we lived together (and, by the way, we had 2 boy roommates--hello? Me against 3 boys? You do the math!) that, had we not been stuck together paying for a mortgage, there is no way we would still be together.
Had we been married, we'd have gotten a divorce.
But buying a house is, apparently, more of a commitment than marriage.
Scott was just in denial about the "commitment" at that time.
He knows better now.
Now we are stuck.
Now the decision of whether or not to move back to Utah has been taken off the table. Because it's not really a choice anymore. We're stuck paying for this house, no hope of selling or renting because we owe so much more than it's worth.
We've tried calling the bank to help us with a loan modification. Nothing. We talked to a lawyer to help us with loan modification. We (as the lawyer put it) aren't American enough for the banks to feel sorry for us. Which means we live within our means, don't have enough debt.
We've tried calling the bank to help us with a loan modification. Nothing. We talked to a lawyer to help us with loan modification. We (as the lawyer put it) aren't American enough for the banks to feel sorry for us. Which means we live within our means, don't have enough debt.
Being financially responsible totally hosed us.
Part of me wants to show just how American I can be, rack up a huge amount of debt. Because I, obviously, do not have a problem spending money.
But I have worked too hard for too long to come this far to throw it all away. And I choose to believe that being responsible will pay off in the end.
Because I hate to think I sacrificed countless shoes, bags, and cute summer dresses for nothing. Nothing being a house that I have no desire to spend the next 20 or even 5 years in.
It is, however, good enough for now.
Because it has to be.
7 comments:
I know exactly how you feel... you are responsible and actually pay your bills so you don't qualify for all the debt reduction programs, grants or "hardships" and you have too much character to be any different.
You're living where you want with whom you want. The rest are merely details that will sort out over time. Enjoy yourselves. That said, whining is OK, and fun to read!
Oh. God. This is when I'm so glad never to have had enough money to "invest" in the first place.
Ugh, I feel for you. Would it help if I moved in with you? I won't pay rent, but I will hog your DVR.
@jeremy......you get it. Completely.
@norm.....Here's to positive thinking that it will sort out.
@Erin.....part of me wishes we hadn't "invested" (or, more appropriately, gambled), but the other part knows that if we had not, Scott and I would have been history long ago.
@Cat.....I don't have DVR. It's a part of the whole "living within our means" thing that effed us in the first place.
I'm right there with you. Those us who financially behave get bupkis (sp?). Can I refinance my house? No, because I'm not in enough debt. Some incentive.
I too am in a place that will have to do for now because it has to. I feel for ya girl. I'm so glad we have renters in our house in CA, otherwise, we would be completely screwed! Our house out there, which is a nice home, just cannot compete with everything that is up for sale there. It also kinda sucks that those who are responsible and do what they are supposed to get hosed. You should be rewarded for your good habits. The system is totally jacked up!
Post a Comment