Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What's a Dollar Worth?

What's 2 feet tall, white, and the most adorable thing you've ever seen? That would be my long-lost scooter, the one I haven't driven for a few weeks because I've been....lazy? Yeah, if you can be too lazy to drive something that requires a simple flick of the wrist, then that's me.


Until yesterday. Yesterday I had to meet some friends for hiking and I decided I'd better stop driving my SUV and start, once again, trying to save the world one gallon of gas at a time. Already late, I head out the door to Nev yelling "Take your phone! Just in case!" I rolled my eyes and told him to stop being such a Nancy.

But I took my phone, anyway.

And thank god, because I could get a hold of exactly no one when I stopped at a stoplight and discovered I had no gas. Oh crap. Apparently it'd been a while since I put gas in, the needle was beyond the empty point and nearing the Stupid Bitch You Probably Should Have Grabbed Your Wallet Instead of Thinking That Some Jackhole Would Break into Your Trunk and Take You For All You're Worth or at Least Keep an Emergency Stash of Money Somewhere. A quarter? A dime?

Nothing.


At this point, a smart person would have turned around and headed home for her wallet. I continued on my merry way. The people I was meeting do not have a cell phone (I know, right?) so it would have been really rude of me to not show up. This was obviously the smartest choice of the day, next to leaving my wallet at home.


Anyway. It was a long hike filled with anxiety and an extreme need to pee. In the end, I really, really didn't want to, but I had to ask my friend (who, actually, is the mother of one of my students, so now you can understand why this is so awkward) for a buck so I can make it home.


And she doesn't have anything, either.



Here's where Karma steps in and helps me out (I knew being such a giver would pay off at some point). My student turns her mom's car upside down and finally finds a dollar. One beautiful dollar, one gleaming, green dollar, which they had thought flew out the window (???) because it wasn't there when they went to go buy a water before the hike.


So, wow.

Even Fate realizes that sometimes money is more important than all else, even health.

We'll chalk yesterday up to a lesson learned to always have emergency cash or card stashed somewhere.

A smart person would immediately go and put an emergency stash in the trunk to prevent this from happening again. And I will, as soon as Privileged is over. Actually, I really have been dying to see the new Real Housewives of Orange County, which is on after Privileged, and it probably won't be on at least 10 other times this week. So I guess I'll do it after that.

Life is all about making the right choices, kids.


Peace out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, I missed the Housewive of Orange County? Damn. I was watching the Biggest Loser and NO SHOW comes before that! LOL

rachael chatoor said...

Ha, ha Kel, yeah you get right on that now. hehe

btw; I have to agree, thank God for Karma.

zipbagofbones said...

I find it humourous that you call yourself lazy. You, who has hiked/biked/run/gym-ed most of every day of your vacation. You lazy bitch. Get back on your scooter for the love of god and quit expecting your damn legs to get you around everywhere.

Summer said...

LOL! I have to agree with Cat. Sweetheart you are not fooling anyone by calling yourself lazy just to make the rest of us feel better about ourselves. I mean I appreciate it and all, but I know better.

C.S. Perry said...

If you want to save the world...stop watching idiotic TV Shows.
If nobody watches...maybe they won't keep making them.
But I gotta go right now and catch up on Armageddon Week on the History Channel.