Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Here I go again...

As you may or may not know, my second book, ATD, is being edited right now. As you also may or may not know, I have this nasty little habit of waking up at four in the morning to write. As you can probably assume, since ATD has been with the editors for two weeks, I've been wasting a lot of time on the Internet in the morning, to fill in the void where writing would go.

It's a big void. I'm not a person who can only have one thing (work) going on at a time. I need projects...lots of them...to make myself feel fulfilled and have a purpose.

I tried filling it up with shoes, but my closet is full and my credit card bill was "let me flee the country because holy shit" dollars this month.

I'm getting serious about running again. (Sidenote: serious to me means running 5 miles a day 5 times a week. I'm not a marathoner or even a halfer, and I will NEVER be the type who does that stuff and puts bumper stickers on my car so everyone can know about it.)

The running thing is not a non sequitur. I decided to take up running again to help me write (also to help me lose these last stubborn ten pounds). Some of my best creative downloads have come to me while I'm running the lake by my house, when I'm riding my bike, or when I'm out in the middle of the Utah desert on my horse. And since the horse thing is only an option a few times a year, and the bike thing doesn't burn near the kcals that running does, running was the obvious choice.

It's been a week since I made the decision, and I can tell you that book 3 is pushing through hard and fast (insert inappropriate sexual joke here).

Here's the thing about writing novels (or maybe anything?): there are a lot of details that the writer knows that the reader never will. I know little details about my characters that are essential pieces of their make-up but that are inconsequential to the story. I know what they eat for breakfast, what their after-work routine is, what time they release their bowels ever day. Just kidding on that last part---or am I?

The point is, my head is being filled with details about Mel, the character from Book 3. I know very little about the story arc yet, but I'm really beginning to understand her as a person.

Most of what I know right now will never be in the book, or at least it'll be implied through subtle nuances in her character.

Still. As insignificant as this may all seem, it means Book 3 is here and in its beginning stages.

It also means I can fit into my smallest pair of jeans and still have room to breathe.

What I'm saying is that Book 3 is on its way thanks to my vanity and desire to have all my jeans be skinny jeans.

Game on, bitches! Again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that there are more books. I so love your first one. I am on chapter 25 and I love love love it! As soon as I am finished with it....there will be a proper blog on my blog site about it. Keep those books coming and one day I plan on going to one of your book signings, introducing myself and getting a signed copy of one of your books. Keep up the good work Kel. You are an amazing woman and an amazing writer and I am proud to call myself a fan!!!!