Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The First Day

Nine years ago I started teaching. I took a job at a 100% free lunch school in a classroom with students who were severely emotionally disturbed. The students had gone through 8 teachers the year prior.

But I had years of experience in this type of classroom, so I knew what I was getting into. I've been trained in behavior modification by some of the world's leading experts.  I knew what behaviors to expect and how to deal with said behaviors.  I went to work that first day confident I knew what I was doing.  I went to work that day wearing brand new 4" inch heels.

It's hard to say whether it was my throbbing feet or being called Barbie (not as a compliment, which baffles me to this day) that had me laying on my bed in tears at the end of the day.  I wasn't cut out for the job.  I couldn't handle it.  I did not know how I would make it through the year.

I made it through the year with help...and by help I mean margaritas  Seriously, I drank so much I gained 20 pounds that year.

But I made it.

I've made it through eight years now and I'm about to begin my ninth.  I still get nervous about the first day.  I still have nightmares about student anarchy and forgetting to wear clothes.  I still don't dare wear heels the first few days, because standing and walking around for 7 hours (minus a 30 minute duty-free lunch) is something you have to ease back into.

They say it takes 10,000 hours of doing something to become an expert.  According to the math, I hit expert status sometime last February.  Sometimes, I feel like an expert.  Other times, I feel like I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Always I feel nervous about the first day of school.  Always I feel unprepared and worried about what the year might bring.

But, ready or not, here I go again. 

3 comments:

Mia said...

I work with a similar population of students, and I know those classrooms well. So much of what those students need are people like you, who will stick around and support them, consistently. So kudos, and thank you for doing what you every day :)

Wendy said...

I admire your efforts. It's not a job I could do -- so wonderful job and hang in there, hero teacher! :)

Sarah said...

Teacher power!