Monday, May 21, 2012

Confidence

I used to be so scared that people wouldn't like me. I did everything I could to please those around me.  Translation:  I was a doormat. 

Most people think I'm the complete opposite now, but the truth is, I sometimes still (albeit much less frequently) find myself worried that someone doesn't like me.  But now, unlike my earlier years, I have the skills I need to ground myself, to remind myself that as long as I know the truth about me, as long as I am living with integrity and okay with who I am, then the rest doesn't matter.

When I find myself wondering if someone is upset with or doesn't like me, I stop and ask myself what the higher truth is.  If I am okay with my truth, I can move on.  If I'm not, then I search for the lesson I need to learn in order to move on.

So what does this have to do with me posting a picture of myself in a bikini online?

Everything. 

Admittedly, I was scared to do it.  I was afraid of what people would think.  I was afraid of...being judged.

But then I remembered the higher truth:  I am perfect, I am beautiful as I am.  I may not be the skinniest girl in the world (that is a word that will probably never define me, I got curves!), but I am in fantastic shape.  I spend many hours a week doing intense athletic training, and, though I could probably eat a little cleaner and drink a little (okay, a lot) less booze, I am still a very respectable 23% body fat. And you know what?  I still have plenty of curves.

The bottom line is, if someone wants to judge me, they're going to judge me, and it is usually a reflection of them, not me.  Other people's perception will never change the higher truth about me.

And knowing that, I am confident with who I am and how I look. 

Besides, my curves don't define me. My shitty personality does. 

5 comments:

Sarah said...

So proud of you! I love you and your shitty personality.

Anonymous said...

You look amazing! I wish I looked that good in a swimsuit. I recently tried one on that I thought was gorgeous on the hanger... little did I know that when I tried it on I looked like a half popped can of biscuits! All I could do was laugh or I was going to start crying. One day I will get back in shape and look good like you do in a swimsuit! Love ya Kel!

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. You look like a million bucks.

Allee Versa the United States said...

I love your personality - you absolutely crack me up! And I think you look AMAZING in that photo and I totally give you HUGE props for doing it!! I know that I never would have been able to do it! And the haters/judgers can suck it. Just sayin'

kel said...

Thanks for the love, you guys!