Monday, March 19, 2012

Energy vampire

If you've been reading my posts over at Curvy Girl (and if you haven't, WHY NOT, dick?) you know I have vowed to never, ever go on a diet again. 

That being said, I recently started drinking green juice.

I didn't start drinking it for any other reason than I wanted to feel better.  I needed more energy, and the excuse that I was bound to be tired in the afternoon because I wake up at four in the morning just wasn't cutting it for me.  I need to do more, to be more, to have sustained energy throughout the day.

So I started drinking my vitamins and minerals, and after about ten days, I noticed my ability to move around and accomplish stuff--other than watching reruns of practically the entire series of Friends on TV and eat Kettle corn for dinner three nights in a row--had improved, and I scarcely need to sit down before nine at night now.  I feel amazing.

Correction:  I felt amazing.  Then this week happened, and I found myself taking naps after work three days in a row.

During the last nap, I figured out the cause:  the devil (sidenote:  some people like to call it sugar).

I'd eaten cake for lunch (what, it was moist and delicious and baked with chocolaty love) three days in a row.

I'd crashed in the afternoon three days in a row.

So now there's, like, hard evidence (you know, because a swollen ass and depression-like symptoms over the past two years wasn't proof enough) that I shouldn't be eating sugar, that my body does not process it in a way that is healthy for me.  Sugar, for me, is an energy sucker.  It's an encourager, a cheerleader, of lethargy and cellulite.

I feel the need to stop eating sugar just as strongly as I feel the need to eat chocolate cake for lunch and margaritas for breakfast.

I desperately need to feel good, but just as badly, I want to eat delicious food, and no matter how you slice it, broccoli will never be ice cream.

What does it all mean? 

I don't know, but I'm sure I'll figure it out just as soon as I finish this Kit Kat.

3 comments:

A said...

I felt the same about sugar after doing a juice cleanse. I felt SO MUCH BETTER drinking juice and not eating sugar. I plan to return to that now that I'm on my way home from Paris and am no longer eating pain au chocolat like it's my last meal.

Denise aka squeeze said...

I don't know WTF green juice is, but i do now that I read every blog...both here and on Curvy Girl, and love them all. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats chocolate cake, period.

Sarah said...

Which green juice did you go with? Smoothies or juice, juice?