I'm a firm believer in owning up to your mistakes.
Mostly because I don't ever make mistakes, so there's never anything for me to own up to.
Except, you know, just this once, I'm wondering if I'm wrong. I want your opinions. For real. And then I'll decide, based on what you tell me, whether your opinion is right or wrong.
Okay, really, I do come in humility. It is possible in all of us at some point or another.
So I've had a little war waging with this trick at the gym for the past couple of months. She showed up one day and moved the fan. The fan that was blowing on me while I was running. I didn't say anything, because I was almost done running and I didn't want to be selfish.
But this morning, just after I started my run, she walked up to the fan and looked at me.
Do you mind if I move this?
Yes.
But if I just turn it a little....
Then it'll be blowing on you and not me. I'll be done in ten minutes, you can move it then.
She walked away, I kept running.
But as I ran, I wondered if I'd handled the situation the best way. What makes me get the fan over her?
Nothing, except the fact that we both wanted the fan to blow on us during running, and I got there first. I figured given a choice between the two of us, I was going to put myself before her. Besides, she did ask if I minded. I was only being honest.
But was that right? Was it right for me to put my own comfort over hers? Or should I, should all of us in such a situation, defer to the other to make the world feel more peaceful and nice?
What is the proper balance between getting what we want and getting others what they want, at our own expense?
I try to think what Jesus would have done (no really, I did), and I think maybe he would have let her move the fan. But what that teaches the girl is that she can have the fan every time, and that teaches her to be selfish.
I've determined that maybe the best course of action is for me to talk to this girl and try to come up with a solution.
Or maybe I say fuck it and continue to do what I do. Whoever is there first gets the fan.
Thoughts?
4 comments:
Okay: All kidding aside. I do not believe you were being selfish. Nor are you Jesus. If you were, you wouldn't have had that leak in your roof for as long as you did...last year. Jesus was a Carpenter and would have Handled It. Duh. Moving Forward. Three things are happening here: 1. You were there first. Period. While you do not own the gym, the fan, or any of the minions currently occupying such.said.space., you do have Mmmm certain privileges, shall we say, for rolling out of bed, strapping shoes to your feet, and getting there...first. Just the facts, maam. 2. People often ask for the truth but are not often prepared to listen, actually hear, certainly not...accept IT. The phrase "You Can't Handle the Truth." would not have gained such wide popularity if it did not have a ring of, well, TRUTH. Bigger Duh. 3. The FACT that you even gave the discussion, comment, statement, (etc...) Pause for Thought @ what one would assume was early in the morning (my lazy ass was still asleep ♥ ), actually indicates that major growth is already taking place. The fact that "STEP OFF Before I Cut You" was not the preferred catch phrase of the morning, well, you already know the drill...on that. ♥♥♥
~ Loraine
The second person should ask management for another fan.
Short of that, the fan could have a timer and a person gets it for only one cycle.
Hey when are we gonna hear more about the BOOK ?
The place you workout at seems to have poor air circulation and/or its air conditioning system is inadequate.
It was not inappropriate to have managed the other person's request in the manner that you say you did.
You, however, may have failed but not asserting yourself more by simply stating to her...."Fuck you, I was here first you delusionally entitled bitch".
That way, she'll never ask you about the fan again.
Problem solved.....forever.
*!*
You were right. You were not rude, told her when you would be done and said she could have it then.
I agree with the other comment that she should ask for another fan. But you both should in case her counter to your "no" is to get there before you - which would leave you without a fan.
Post a Comment