Friday, December 9, 2011

Feel Good Friday

Well, it's happened.  I am no longer the most selfish trick on the planet. 

I am not claiming to be totally unselfish, but I am not at least unselfish enough to accept Scott's suggestion that we forgo Christmas gifts to each other this year and donate to a charity instead.  (Actual charity, not we-need-a-camper-trailer charity.)

I could find exactly no arguments against this, as he is right (did I really just say that?).  We both have everything we need (did I really just say THAT?). 

I'm getting nothing for Christmas.  And...I pretty much don't mind.

I chose to give some money to St. Jude's, even though I really know nothing about them except they put pictures of those sad cancer babies on the return slip, so I can't bear to throw away those beautiful, innocent children and end up sending them a check every single time they send me a donation slip.

Consequently, they send me lots of donation letters with sweet, bald kids on the cover.  By now I've donated enough money to pay for at least three pair of boots or ten Mexican hookers, plus the treatment for the ensuing STDs.

Scott is choosing to give money to Holly's Garden Rescue, which is the rescue center that brought us Hank.

There are so many people doing so many amazing things in the world, I wish I could give to them all.

If you're wondering what's gotten into me, well, so am I.  If you're wondering why you, too, are not so giving, well, so am I.

It's not right, my sacrificing of things for me to give to others.
Ah, well.  At least I'll still have my crappy attitude and complete disregard for other's feelings.

1 comment:

A Little Piece of Reese said...

I haven't gotten a bday, xmas, valentine etc gift from Matt in over 13 years, nor him from me. We buy what we need when we need it...our charity is my classroom, amongst others. I am always spending money for things on my students or my classroom. That brings me joy, welcome to the other side ;)