Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bittersweet

There are approximately 20 days standing between me and the last day of school.

Summer break: six weeks of nothing to answer to except the sun.

A bit of Nirvana, if you will.

Normally, I am beyond excited about this.

With the end of the school year comes...the end of the school year.  A joy from youth that my profession allows me to experience year after year.

This year, though, it will be hard to say goodbye. I will say goodbye to students who have been in my math class for three years.  They are all exceptional in their own way.  I don't like to think about them moving on, even though it's time.  I foresee a lot of tears on graduation day.

Also this year, I will say goodbye to one of my best friends in the whole world.

Sopko is moving away.  She is leaving San Diego for a little place called Hobart, Indiana.  If you're wondering what the hell is in Hobart, don't worry, so is everyone who has ever been to or heard of Hobart, Indiana. 

Obviously Sopko got issues.

Regardless, of her Crazy, I don't know what I'll do without her.

For the past seven years, she has been my constant shopping, drinking, and beaching buddy.  Along with the good times, we have had some terrible arguments, some that lasted for months where we didn't speak at all (which is, BTW, completely awkward when you have to work with someone closely and see them every day).  But through it all, we've emerged as strong, great friends.  That bitch is like a sister to me.

And now she's leaving.

She'll be in another state just like my real sisters.

I want to hate her for it, but instead am gobbling up every second of her time that I can.

I don't know what I want more:  the days to last forever or summer vacation to begin.

And I guess if the biggest problem in my life is learning how to enjoy every second of the day for now, I am lucky.  No matter how much I want to feel sorry for myself.

1 comment:

zipbagofbones said...

OMG SOPKO IS LEAVING. *sad face* I'll miss the stories! You'll have to drunk Skype.