So there I was, wondering about how independent I am, wondering if I can, truly, take care of things on my own if the need arose when, BAM, the Universe punks me.
I pulled into my driveway after the gym yesterday morning to find a mangled, injured, stray cat in front of my house. Suffice to say I'm pretty sure the little darling picked a fight with a coyote and lost.
She was wondering around, stumbling a bit, dazed, shocked and, I'm sure, scared out of her mind.
I stood there on my front steps for a few beats, trying to decide what to do.
I didn't want to touch her. I have enough issues with animal germs as is without adding a stray, mangled feline to the mix.
I stayed a few feet away, Googled on my phone whom I should call, all the while telling her, "Kitty, stay right here, I'll get you some help."
I cried a little as my heart went out to this poor creature who was clearly in a lot of pain and unsure of what to do with herself.
I went into the house every few minutes to get ready for work but came back out continuously to check on her, to help her feel comforted (from afar. Again, I wasn't about to touch a random animal, no matter how much she needed it).
It was past the time I needed to leave for work, and the police, who had said they were on their way, had yet to arrive.
I went outside one last time and saw a woman, her car parked in the middle of the street, petting the cat.
I told her the police were on their way and gave her a towel to wrap the cat in so she could hold her until the police came.
I do not know what happened to the cat, but I like to believe she is okay and is already on her way to getting a nice, new home.
It was a very traumatic experience for me. I thought about the cat all day and felt nauseated from worry and concern over her well-being.
It was emotionally and physically draining, and by 8 last night, I was done.
Even though I handled the situation and took care of it, it's not something I'd prefer to repeat ever again. I'm not built for having to deal with situations like that, but I'm also not built for turning my head when someone or something needs my help.
Goddamn this bleeding heart of mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment