Thursday, February 17, 2011

Heartwarming.

I used to fill the void in my life with clothes, shoes, and handbags.

Now, I am trying to fill my heart with joy by way of something much more substantial: accessories.

Just kidding.

Seriously, though, I found something that gives me so much joy that no shoe or bag could ever give me. (That was not a joke.)

Okay, so remember that whole Coach bag give away I did?

There is a story, and it has nothing to do with me.

The girl who won, Janae, is a girl I went to high school with. She lives in my hometown, has four children, and is a stay-at-home mom.

It warmed my heart when she won, because one of her comments was "I hope I win, I've never won anything, and I don't have a Coach bag."

I cried when I found out the real reason her winning a Coach bag was so special.

Mere days before I announced the winner, Janae found a lump. She spent the week getting prodded, poked, ultra-sounded, and whatever else comes when they have to test to find whether or not something is cancerous.

It was especially hard on Janae because she had to deal with going through all this while feelings of almost losing her sister to breast cancer resurfaced.

So when she found out she won the bag, she sobbed.

It wasn't the bag so much as having something positive happen during a very dark time for her.

I cried when I read the email she sent me, telling me all this.

As hard as it was for me to give up that Coach bag, this story reaffirmed that I did the right thing.

A closet full of Coach bags would not have made up for the knowledge that I helped someone see hope during a very dark time.

So thank you, Janae, for making me feel good about myself in a way that nothing else could.

And, Janae, our prayers are with you.

PS...actually, not my prayers, because I don't pray, and, trust me, you don't want this bitch praying for you. God hates hypocrites. But, you know, the prayers of all who read this are with you.

3 comments:

zipbagofbones said...

Son of a bitch, now I can't hate her for beating me. Karma...it's TOO fair.

Thinking of you, J.

bardellisgirl said...

I'm glad J won.

My thoughts are with you during your rough time.

Janae said...

I love my new bag and I'm happy to report the surgery to remove the lumps went well and everything came back non-cancerous. Thanks for the prayers and support!