Friday, January 14, 2011

Fashion Friday--The Give Away Edition.

Some of my friends laughed when I told them I had a sensitive side.

One thought the only thing that would make me cry was having my bike stolen.

And while, yes, that would devastate me, the truth is, I cry at EVERYTHING.

I see a smile on a kid's face, I tear up. A student of mine scores 100% on a math test, I tear up. I see a sappy commercial on TV, I tear up.

It annoys me to no end, but I have an extremely soft side (to counteract my extremely bitchy side, I guess. You know what they say, opposition in all things...). I am my mother's daughter.

What this means is, someone is going to walk away from my epiphany with a brand new Coach bag.

I purchased the bag as a present for myself for the new year. I am sick of my old white bag, so I donated it to our school's fundraiser and bought myself a new one.

But then, my view of things changed.

After a lengthy discussion with the boys about how I shouldn't give money to people who are homeless because you never know where the money is going (I don't necessarily agree with that, but I see their point), I decided to return the bag and use the money to buy McDonald's gift cards to keep in my wallet and pass out when I saw the need.

But somehow, that didn't seem like enough.

Which is where you all come in.

Instead of just me being on a mission to spread positive energy and give back to the world that has given me so much, I want everyone in my corner to do the same. That's where the real difference will be made.

So.

I offer to you this brand-new, never-used Coach bag:



All you have to do is leave a comment with either a story or a link telling about what you are going to do to give back.

At the end of the month, I will use random.org to choose the winning comment.

Please, enter as many times as you'd like, but give me a different story each time.

I figure if I pick at the end of the month and ship it out the next day, some lucky bitch will have a new Coach bag just in time for Valentine's Day (men, if you're reading, you should probably know that a receiving a Coach bag for V Day is sure to make your gal very, very happy. Like, smiley happy. Like, smiley without showing any teeth happy .Wink, wink. But I digress....)

All you have to do is give back.

Happy Friday!

41 comments:

Suzanne Mitchell said...

Well I have to say I was inspired by the last blog you wrote about wanting to give your $9 to the homeless guy. A couple days ago, I was heading to Hillcrest to go to Babbette Swartz. We had to park a few blocks awayy near the 7/11. So on my way to the store,Quinn and I walked by a homeless man who looked very down and out. He looked like he could use a bite to eat. I said hi as we walked by and he said awwww....what a little angel,god bless. So as we walked to the store I kept thinking about your story. So...on the way back to the car I decided to go into 7/11 and get something to eat for this guy. I didn't have any cash on me anyway. So I bought him a bag of potato chips, a taquito, and a bottle of water. Not the healthiest but I didn't think he'd mind. So we walked back to the car and there he was, in the same spot. I stopped and gave him the bag of goodies and told gim that I hope it could help. He couldn't say thank you enough times! It felt really good to help someone,even though it wasn't anything major. But to this man, it seemed major!!

happy mom said...

can I share things I have done? I hope that counts because I have done some good things, and when the oportunity arises I continue to do things.

When my husband and I were on our honeymoon, headed to a very nice restaurant, in San fransisco we passed a man, and I wanted to help and my husband pushed me along with the same story (like what you were saying about not giving money and all) and I said but we are going to have a really nice meal that I don't even want to eat now. My husband got the point and we turned around took him to a near by chinese take out buffet kind of thing, and had him fill his plate to the max. our meal was much better after having provided for someone else first.

AprilPhire04 said...

Each month, on the last day, I send $10 to the Canadian Medical Assistance Team. This organization was brought to my attention by one of my best friends who was heading to Haiti (she's a nurse) to help the earthquake survivors. I wasn't able to send money at the time she went, ended up baby sitting her kitties while she was gone.

I decided that once I got some more money, and my finances under control that at least $10 would be theirs! Any money donated that isn't directed at a specific volunteer goes into a 'pool' for the supplies and other expenses. They also give you the option to choose what type of relief your money goes to (Tsunami, earthquake, Haiti, etc)!!

gradschoolknitter said...

I'm a grad student so I don't have much to give, but I try to occasionally give a bit to Doctors without borders and my fiance and I decided that we will have them as an alternate for our registry. So, if people don't want to buy us stuff we may never use anyway (and probably have one of in the first place) they can donate to them in our honor instead.

Brittany said...

My hubby is the computer engineer at a large auto factor. With all the endless layoff and whatnot, he was beginning to notice, MANY of the line workers did not eat lunch, and when he finally got the balls to gently ask them why, it's because they didn't have the money.

So, twice a month, I make HUGE dinners for him to take into work that feed 80-100 people. We started out paying for everything ourselves, but after a few months, his work started chipping in and would buy the plates and soda.

I make tacos, spaghetti, gumbo, chili, soups, roasts and even a whole turkey once, and it's a huge hit, the men and women love it.

I plan on approaching some pizza places this month to see if we could also get a huge discount to supplement more meals, fingers crossed.

The only bad thing to come of it is I am so exhausted from the 2 huge meals I make a month, I barely cook at home now, HAHAHAHA. Poor andy.

Emily said...

Well, this is JUST FABULOUS.

I love hearing about everyone's stories! It just goes to show that even though there is alot of sh$t in the world, there are also so many heroes out there.

I paraphrase Mr. Rogers when I say : whenever something bad happens, look for the heroes. there is always someone trying to help.

So...what do I do? I'm a broke full-time student and can barely pay rent with my (also full-time)job, so I don't have time or money to spare. But I do have blood! And a good platelet count. So every two weeks, I go to the bloodbank to donate platelets. It's the least I can do.

One day, after donating, I went to the grocery store to stalk up on food. A little girl waiting in line at the checkout stand looked at my arm and said, "What happened to your arm!"

I explained, and her eyes grew wide. And then she said, "I needed blood too! Maybe I have yours! Maybe we are sisters!".

At this point the mother turned and told me that her daughter had leukemia and had to have multiple blood transfusions throughout her treatment. She's now in recession and the happiest little girl you ever saw...and wants to be tall like me. Because we're sisters.

I paid for my groceries, went to the car and sobbed happy tears for an hour.

Janae said...

I like to give money to Primary Children's Hospital, I know that is different than giving to the homeless, but I have seen that same desperate look on the kids' faces (including my own child). I have seen their faces light up when they are given a blanket or a toy, something that brings them comfort. I hope to someday pay it forward by making a bunch of blankets to take for the hospital to give to all of those special angels who are fighting such a hard battle!

Emily said...

Oh! I forgot to share my favorite new find:

http://www.31bits.com/

So great for gifts and such a good cause!

(and no, this is not me trying to get my name in again for the coach bag. It really is an awesome cause.)

McKenzie said...

I keep about $20 or so in the console of my car to give to the people asking for money on the highway exit ramps. (I like the idea of McDonalds gift cards to give them. Especially since there is a McDonalds on the next block from where I exit the highway.)
I have done this since I was laid off in October of 2006 and found a job less than 2 days later. I feel as though I was blessed to have been that lucky. So even if it is only $20.00 I hope that the $20.00 can buy them whatever it is they need/want. (I get the same arguemnt from people about you don't know what they are spending it on...But I think that really it isn't up to me to decide what or how they spend it. I know my intention was to help them out and it is between them and their conscious on how they choose to spend it.)

Sara said...

This is a really beautiful idea.

I don't know if you read The Bloggess, but she did a "Christmas miracle" last month on her blog. She offered 30 gift cards to people who needed help with Christmas, but way more than 30 people needed help. So random people started offering to help out, and eventually over $60,000 was donated to families in need for Christmas. :) It's giving me goosebumps just writing about it!

I got to donate to a really sweet woman who had a baby. She emailed me that she used to money to buy her baby some clothes and a few toys, and she even sent me some pictures of the baby opening her presents. I don't think I've ever been happier to give money away.

Jo said...

First of all, I love reading your blog! When I lived in Boston about six years ago, I would pass an older gentleman daily on my walk from the T station to my office building, holding a sign asking for work or money. I started out by saying hello and buying him a cup of coffee. Once I heard his story, I then started giving him $20 a month. It wasn't much, esp. by Boston standards, but he was always very grateful and very polite whenever I saw him. One day he had his 'homeless buddy' with him and his buddy said thanks to me as the money was feeding both of them. I'm back in UT, but I think of him often.

Now I volunteer at the Humane Society, giving my time to the animals who have no homes. It's my way of making their day a bit better, as well as making mine better.

Funny thing that I read your blog post today because I went to lunch with a friend at PF Chang's just today and gave away my leftovers to the older man by the freeway ramp. I'm hoping he enjoys Gluten Free spicy chicken b/c I'm the type of person who feels guilty for giving him food he may not like.

Amy said...

This is an awesome idea! I have loved reading everyones comments, too!

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOO proud to call you my sister!! (P.S. Your fellow bloggers are awesome too!)

Amy said...

We recently moved to Bird Rock from the suburbs of Atlanta and I had never really seen homeless people before, at least not from a moving car. We were at dog beach in OB when it was cold last week (and I spent a lot of time bitching and moaning and generally being a huge pain in the butt) and on the walk back to the car I saw a girl who was panhandling and looked absolutely miserable. I don't carry cash so I didn't have any money to give her, but I did end up giving her my jacket. It was one of the more humbling moments I've had in a while.

amerikasweetness said...

This is such a sweet idea! It always feels good to give!

Working in downtown Phx, I see a lot of homeless people walking up and down the streets. Wanting to give change to all of them, I have only been able to give them left over food, or a un open bottle of water.
One time while walking back from a lunch date, I saw a pregnant homeless lady sitting under a tree on a 115 degree day and I asked her if I could buy her some lunch. She agreed and we walked to Burger King and ate while she was able to cool off. It broke my heart to see this poor pregnant lady having to suffer to get food for her and her baby. I still think of her every once in awhile, hoping her and her baby are OK, or if the baby is in good hands now.

Kristen said...

Kel this is a great idea on your post. I love all the ideas the people have planned or already done. I have my heart in Dominican Republic and getting special education running there. So you know where I will be :)

Sarahbellum said...

I love this idea! I can't tell you how happy it makes me knowing you really do have a soul.

I upped my game by restocking my purse with high-protein energy bars to hand people when they ask for food money.

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

I like to pay for the tolls of people behind me on the bridge...I know it's silly, but hey, paying their $5 might make a bad day a little better.

Karen A said...

I just joined a charity that helps kids with physical and mental disabilities gain mobility. We raise money and use that money to purchase wheelchairs and adaptive bikes for kids - so, so rewarding.

Just like a Coach bag, giving back is always in style right?

Unknown said...

This is a really inventive idea. I truly believe that we all have a very generous side to our hearts, but are afraid to show it to others. For the past couple of months my dad has been in the ICU (he's finally in a regular room). We met a lot of families who had to live at the hospital because they weren't from the area. So my sister and I decided to bring in snacks and small goody bags that had simple things like toothbrushes and toothpaste, crossword puzzles, hand lotion, etc.,for those families. I'm glad we did it because it gave them a little bit of home, but it also let me focus on something besides my dad being sick.

Julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

You are inspiring! Thank you!

Like you, I don't like to give money to the homeless, but since my brother chooses to live "as a street kid" as he calls himself... I like to pay it forward to those kids. My brother is constantly taken care of (besides the beer money and cigs) He's given food, whole loafs of bread with PB&J that will last a week.
So my goal this year is to give food to a homeless person or a "street kid" once a week.

Julia said...

Another thing I like to do when I can afford it, is pay for the person's order who is behind me in the drive through.
Those little things make anyone's day! And everyone is in need. Pay it forward!
-Julia

Julia said...

This last winter I went through my closet and got rid of winter clothes I don't wear (duh. we're in San Diego) and instead of donating them to Good Will where people have to buy them (don't get me wrong. Good will is great!) I donated them to a local church so that people who really can't afford to buy clothes, were still able to have clothes.

Julia said...

Last year my girlfriend Shai lived out one of her life goals to go to Africa and live out one of her life goals, to build an all girls school.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to help her actually build the kits she took with her (because she lives in TN) but I was able to send supplies, $ and my own art projects to share with her. It was such an honor to be able to participate in her journey and then see how the lovely lip glosses we sent brought smiles to those girls faces.

Janae said...

It is so awesome to read what other people have done! It has given me some great ideas!

Janae said...

One of the comments reminded me of something that my brother and his wife do every year on the day that their 16 year old daughter died. To honor her memory, they go out to eat (one of her favorite things to do) and they choose someone who looks like they might need a little help, and pay for their meal! It turns a sad day for them into a day that makes them feel good by serving others.

bardellisgirl said...

I love this idea.

In the mornings a couple times a week I take my 3 year old for a croissant at starbucks, there is a guy there. Once I gave him a starbucks gift card for $10.00, another time I bought him breakfast and coffee. Depends on the day, and if I have money.

I also take my clothes to shelters instead of salvation army.
When the mine in Boron, CA locked out workers my parents who were both retired donated to the food fund, pet food fund and I pitched in too. They also took food to the workers at the gates since they spent all the time locked out, working post time at gates.

My mom was an Angel, she gave to all she knew, I am learning to be more like her in her honor. My mom went to be a real angel in September. I miss her, but I feel good whenever I help someone out.

bardellisgirl said...

Oh a month or so ago my friend and I were driving and seen a mother begging with her shoeless child, it was freezing outside but someone had bought them food. I went to my house down the street got some old clothes of my daughters and gave them to her. It was sad, but I hope she got enough help, I have not seen her since that day.

Julia said...

Every week my husband and I take a bunch of our fresh produce that we will replenish with fresher produce, like apples, bananas, pears, and sometimes sandwiches and walk the boardwalk in Ocean beach and give food to the street kids, or anyone who wants it. I love this Saturday tradition.

Julia said...

One of my life goals is to do a photography project where I get to know a homeless person,their life style, why they are there, do they like it... etc. And take photos of them. Document them and try to capture who they really are on film. And print them off and give them the prints.
I guess we'll see how that manifests.

Janae said...

I also like to help with the humanitarian projects at church. I know they have done newborn kits to give to women who don't even have a blanket to wrap thier babies in or an outfit to dress them in. It makes me think how blessed we really are as I look around at how many blankets and clothes my kids have!

Julia said...

A while back my mom's washer went out and she wasn't able to afford a new one right away. A day later a friend of ours surprised her with a new set of washer/dryer. What a huge blessing that was for her. One day I'd love to be able to do that for someone.

Julia said...

A while back my mom's washer went out and she wasn't able to afford a new one right away. A day later a friend of ours surprised her with a new set of washer/dryer. What a huge blessing that was for her. One day I'd love to be able to do that for someone.

Angie said...

What an awesome idea! And I love reading everyone's comments.

While we were living in Richmond, one of my friends started a Play Group where we did a service project once a month. In October, we would take our babies all dressed up to Assisted Living homes. In February, we helped adult handicapped people make Valentine's for each other.

Angie said...

When we moved to St. Louis, I tried to continue the tradition...we only did one service project...but it was pretty big! My friend's parents were taking a trip to Africa. We decided to get a few different Play Groups to make baby blankets for new moms in Africa. We had a group in MO, VA, and UT and we were able to make and donate 15-20 baby blankets for them.

Julia said...

Payin' in forward. My friend is auditioning for Biggest Loser in a month. The reason for holding her back from auditioning is being able to pay her bills while she's gone.
I'm organizing a group of friends/strangers to donate $ to help her with he rent and monthly bills. She needs this to live a healthy life. And if this is the only thing holder her back. It's the least I can do.

The Falkers said...

Well you know me. I will do anything for Primary Children's...but I am not sure if I can count that as a good deed seeing how I do it to give back for all they did to save Mason...

chrissy said...

Well...... I donated my old coach bag to the womens shelter along with some old shoes and clothing that will make some womens day fabulous!I love your cute blog!

Denise aka squeeze said...

By virtue of knowing you, and having worked with you in a moms and kids treatment program...there was NO doubt you have heart, soul and a kind generous spirit. Because I know you, I wouldn't imagine winning the coach bag - even tho my wife would love it. My way of expressing kindness is simple, I smile at everyone I see or meet even when they look angry, mad and unapproachable. I don't get into the inevitable gossip, backbiting and negativity that sometimes plagues workplaces, I give whatever I can everytime I see homeless people on corners, but most, I work with a population that no one wants to know about, hear about, or see....those who are plagued by the disease of addiction, and even after doing it for over 20 years, I still find it heartwarming, heartbreaking and rewarding. Love you so much Kel.

The Falkers said...

Well you know me. I will do anything for Primary Children's...but I am not sure if I can count that as a good deed seeing how I do it to give back for all they did to save Mason...