LA and my memory blow. In that order.
On Saturday, my sister and I headed to LA to watch her school's cheerleaders perform at nationals. The performance was for 3:12. We stopped for lunch in the OC and then headed to America's most shiteous city.
And wouldn't you know, my dumb ass forgot the directions.
This could have been a disaster. Lucky for us, I remembered the exact address. Long term memory fine. Short term memory not so much.
So we googled the address and then proceeded to spend the next 2 hours in hell. And by hell I am, of course, referring to any and all of those god-forsaken freeways in LA. At any time of the day. How is it even possible that any day or any time there is always a traffic problem in LA? 3 AM on a Tuesday? Traffic jam.
I'm sorry for all those people who live in LA and are unfortunate enough to have to travel anywhere.
Which is why I avoid it at all costs.
So anyway. We exited the freeway at 3:10, hoping and praying there would be no line to get into the event. Which there wasn't.
Because the exact address I had remembered was the address to the hotel where they were staying.
Eff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway. We ended up arriving at the correct address just in time to see the girls get an award.
We spent 2 hours in the car in traffic, hot as fuck, in order to not see the performance and see the award of 4th place.
Yay?
I wish the story ended here, but it didn't. When we got back to SD, I found the address I had copied down. And yeah. It was the address of the hotel, not the venue where the competition took place.
We were screwed either way.
Moral of the story? LA is to be avoided at all costs, but you can definitely count on me to remember important information.
Accurate information?
Eh.
5 comments:
My dad lives in Long Beach and had a 1 hour commute each way to Manhattan Beach, every day of his 25(ish) year career. My step-mother still works at a school in Rancho Santa Margarita. Hour and a half drive each way on the best of days, three hours on the worst. I do not know how they have not killed themselves.
I don’t know why anyone would ever want to leave SD anyway. Visiting friends in SD I got off on the wrong exit and ended up in the middle of Chula Vista. People were staring at me like I was lost, which I was, but I found my way to the main street that runs North and South, and found a restaurant that had GREAT Mexican food. Happy ending.
I live in Manhattan Beach and have maybe driven to the actual city of LA/West Hoolywood/downtown like five times. It definitely does suck. south bay, bitches!!!!!!
When I visited OC last September we got really bored (and drunk) and almost drove to LA to find something to do. Can you imagine? LOL! So glad we didn't!
Nice writing sis! You wrote it more pleasant than I remember. Love you,
Post a Comment