Monday, March 30, 2009

Adult Conversation

Another adult conversation was had. I have no other conclusion to reach...but that I am somehow, in spite of everything, a grown-up. Bleh.


Scott: Eventually I'll get the workout bug and start working out more.


Me: (rolling my eyes because this is the 10,000th time I've heard this comment). Just do it!

Scott: I don't need you to tell me what to do. I can do it myself.


Me: Really? How's that working out for you?

Scott:......



At this point, we walk into the gym and he walks away. He didn't tell me "Fuck Off" per se. I think it was just implied in one of the 5,000 death glares he sent my way as I lifted weights.

Car ride home:


Scott: Okay, I have 2 things to say and I don't want you to say anything back. Just listen.

Me: (wondering if it is, indeed, possible for me to keep my mouth shut)....


Scott: Number One, I know I'm making excuses, but I have to do this my way.


Me: (tears streaming down my face...not because of his epiphany, but because I'm biting my tongue so effing hard)....



Scott: Number Two, You were right.


Me:...........

I think at a moment like gloating is optional. And probably, when you consider the fact that he still hasn't learned his lesson (which is that I'm always right), it's really just more important that he eventually figured out that I was right (He's obviously a slow learner).

Gloating (at this point in time only, in no way am I advocating the ditching of the "gloat") would have been in poor taste. Plus, it probably would have just pissed him off more, and I really wanted the ride home.

I didn't say a word, I just let him say his piece.

So we wouldn't have to fight.

And then we could be in love.

Like two healthy adults.


I wonder if this would have happened if I still had my nose ring?

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

My wife and I had a similar conversation the other night when she awoke to a fictitious alarm at 4:00AM and then proceeded to yell at me for setting my alarm so early. I told her I didn't have an alarm set and that it was all in her head... and then showed her my watch to verify it... she wasn't amused and still insists it was my alarm.
So I just apologized and rolled over.

Happy to be in love with a lunatic.

zipbagofbones said...

Sounds exactly like the conversation gray and i have once a month except instead of driving to the gym, we're driving to pick up some mountain dew and doughnuts and chimichangas.

Brittany said...

And that is pretty much the secret to being in love,biting your tounge until it hurts.

Summer said...

That is such a cute "real" story about what relationships are like. Way to bite your tongue, I know it can be one of the hardest things to do (at least for me).

BTW - I totally drove the tractor! By myself even!