Monday, October 13, 2008

Lace and Wine

You know how you have those friends that you never see and talk to only once a year but they're still among your best friends? My forever friend Lacey came over last night for dinner, wine, and girl time (see, Utah bitches, I told you you were about to be replaced). Usually with Lace, we meet up for pumpkin spiced lattes and wear off our coffee jitters with endless talking, or, at the very least, bring ourselves down with anti-anxiety drugs, legal or otherwise.

However, last night, for the fist time ever, she ever came over to my house. She even brought wine as a housewarming gift. Bitch didn't share, though, and I was forced to drink my own reserves of 2 Buck Chuck. Thank God she left before I had to share it with her.

And we sat in the cabana, chain smoking, sipping wine and talking about our latest heartbreak in boyland. Well, she did, anyway. I was too busy trying not to slur my words and sound intelligent 2 glasses in.

But the other great thing about last night was that Lace is the kind of friend you can tell everything to. I'm pretty sure it's from years of working in drug rehab and behavior modification facilities, but I usually have really strong, harsh analysis of stories my friends tell me, which I usually keep to myself. People don't always appreciate being treated like a guest on the Dr. Phil show, which is weird since most people are completely comfortable with being analyzed and having their weaknesses pointed out with a cold, hard bitch-slap named Reality.

Which is what makes Lacey so awesome. I can tell her exactly my analysis of things, and she listens without getting defensive, hurt, or psycho. She accepts the fact that we are all dynamic creatures searching for growth and is constantly reflecting on her own quest for inner peace. She also accepts that I do, in fact, have the answers to all relationship and personal problems and lets me hear myself speak as much as I need to.

And for that, she gets a shout out today, a shout out for keeping it real. Here's to you, Lace. I look forward to our next pumpkin spiced latte session, even if it means not eating for a week to compensate for the extreme caloric intake. Love ya, sister!

4 comments:

Salt City Mistress said...

I want a Lace! Can you loan her out for annual trips to Chicago? I could totally learn to share and not be possessive!

Anonymous said...

Love you too, sister.

Wait, you had a secret stash of vino last night? I mean, Kel, I know I'm an uber bitch and could not possibly share the red I brought, but I'm bruised and broken. I needed the 9% glass of pure love more than you.

About the latte: are you aware of a high alcohol content liquor that we could spill into our coffee cup?
It's nearly time for Peppermint Mocha's too.. no problem there with the blessing that is peppermint schnapps!

F-word YEAH!

xoxo~

Summer said...

Alright Kel you have sufficiently made me jealous that I didn't get an invite. I mean I MIGHT just have surprised you and flown in. Ok... that's a boldfaced lie and we both know it. But I am glad you were able to get your wine on, with or without me.

Slyde said...

i have the same kind of friends... i talk to them maybe once a year, but when we get together its like we just hung out yesterday.. its nice..