
I grew up in a very, very small town. The kind of town that is glorified in Sandra Bullock movies and cheesy romance novels. The kind of town where my parents, to this day, have never once used the locks on their doors.
When I was a kid, though, I despised living in the country. I always dreamed of living by the beach, of coming back to my roots where it all began. I promptly moved away to the city (Salt Lake City, to be exact) when I turned 18, but that wasn't enough. I made the venture to San Diego a little more than 7 years ago. I have been extremely happy here and mostly love the craziness that is my life. But.....
Today, I am homesick. I'm homesick for my family, of course, but also for those lazy summer nights, the sound of the creek, and the smell of fresh-cut hay on the farm. I miss seeing a cattle drive going right down main street and having to drive very slowly in the dark lest you hit a cow on the road (incidently, this happened to my little brother just last week) and have to pay for it (open range, my friends, can be a very expensive indeed!). I miss rodeos, county fairs, big trucks and big hair.
Anyway, I will be going back soon, and I'm sure the minute I get there, I will be wondering why I left this paradise of a home (SD, baby!) to go....home. And sometimes, I'm just not sure where that is.
4 comments:
Well, I live in such a place. I moved away to the big city for college, and I came right back home, and I love it. Come and visit if you feel the need to dodge cow manure on the sidewalks. plus, it's almost fair time, and I love me a demolition derby:)
Jeff and I went to Rolette, North Dakota (population 500 something) last year for his family reunion (that's where his mom grew up). It is exactly like what you described in your post. While I admit the small town has a charm of its own, during the week, I was fiending for SD.
You'll have fun revisiting your old town and reconnecting with friends and family. I am sure that there will always be a part of you that's nostalgic for that scene. After all, you learned to ride a tractor in them parts (mad props to you!), but I will always view you as a bona-fide SoCal girl with just a touch of country. :)
dear Brit.......seriously, what is better than a demolition derby? My town has one every 4th of July, and I haven't been in years. I have vowed that I will go next year, though.
dear Phet.....your last comment made me laugh. In some ways, I am a SoCal girl, b/c this is where I was born. But you know the saying, you can take the girl out of the country......Anyway, I suspect I'll always have some components of white trash in me. By the way, had a blast w/ you at prom last night. Your husband is a a hunk!!! Here's to many more good times!
When are you coming for a visit? Let's grab drinks while you're in town. Obviously I mean in SLC, not Oak City. Can you imagine?
Post a Comment