
My friend Karen got married yesterday on the beach in Coronado. While I have been to several weddings at the beach, this was my first wedding on the actual beach. Before we left the house, Scott asked me what he should wear--asking if he could wear jeans. And I was like, "what do you usually wear to weddings?" I was trying to take my hot rollers out (why do I even bother, my hair goes flat within 5 minutes...) and wasn't in the mood for his jokes. I myself was wearing a cute little yellow and white sleeveless number with my newest white wedge shoes (see previous post).
So, when we show up, I run smack into my friend Denise. And she's in a Hawaiian dress and flip-flops. In fact, everyone is wearing Hawaiian or beach themed ensembles. Even the groom is in cargoes, Hawaiian shirt, and flip-flops. Scott, channeling GQ, is in slacks, a long-sleeved shirt, and tie. He immediately whips his tie off and attempts to strangle me, and while I'm desperately fighting for life (but also excited at the thought of being rescued by a hot life-guard), he grabs the car keys and leaves. And I don't blame him! I was in a quasi-beach dress, but, let's face it, no matter who you are, you can't wear wedges to the beach and get away with it.
Anyway, Scott zipped home and changed into shorts and a Hawaiian shirt (the one I have been secretly trying to get rid of for years--but it has finally come in handy in all its polyester glory) and, thankfully, grabbed a couple of pairs of flip flops for me (boyfriend points for giving me a choice of shoes after I failed so miserably to read the fine print re. the wedding). He came back just in time for the roasted pig, tapping of the keg and THE GREATEST CAKE OF MY LIFE!!!! I think it's called tres leches or something, but will forever be remembered in my mind as tres "O's" because I think that's how many I had while eating the stuff.
Karen's wedding was awesome, and Scott was happy b/c he was able to wear beach clothes at a wedding. Sadly, it was pretty much the only way we'll be having beer on the beach this summer (still so, so bitter about the passing of the new beach alcohol-ban).
Note to self: When a wedding is on the beach, wear cute beachy dress and flip-flops. Take Scott's question/jokes seriously and will turn out well.
No comments:
Post a Comment