

I am a firm believer on sticking it to the man. I constantly hope that I'm living my life so the ubiquitous "they" won't get me. This is the reason I have been riding my bike to work for the past 2 years.....well, one of the reasons. The other two have to do with exercise and pollution. Anyway, I am determined that "they" (meaning Big Oil) will get as little as my money as possible. I will now brag that I average 4 weeks on one tank of gas (and no, I don't drive a hybrid or a Civic). I just don't drive that much( by mooching off friends or Scott when I want to leave the 10 mile radius of my house).
While I am so very, very proud of myself for trekking back and forth from work each morning and evening, I have realized that I'm not quite as earth- friendly as I'd like myself to believe. Yes, I bike probably 50 miles a week to work, but I have really fallen short in one area. The other day, I was driving, patting myself on the back about how little I had driven that week. I realized this as I was driving back from: The Gym. I won't drive 10 miles to work, but I will drive a little over 1 mile (!) to the gym--and then look for the parking spot closest to the door. All this for one goal in mind: To go run. How far? About as far as it would take for me to run to the gym and back. Hmmmm........Once again, I have pulled the wool over my own eyes, but I sure as hell am taking others along for the proverbial ride--if they're willing to bike and not waste gas, that is.
Oh, the story with the pix.....I work in a very low-performing school, evidenced by the fact that when students see me wearing my dress and pushing my bike down the hall, I inevitably get a question about how I ride my bike in a dress? And do I wear those same shoes? Apparently, the fact that I carry a backpack the size of a bus While Pushing My Bike Down the Hall is not enough of a clue. Maybe I should get a sign?
No comments:
Post a Comment